Wednesday 5 March 2014

My top five books of February 2014

These books are not in preference order!

1) The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
I may have accidentally stumbled into something I didn't mean to when I picked up this book from the library. It looked a little bit disturbing and it had a love story but nothing prepared me for the gooey chocolate on the inside of the dry cupcake which is what showed. It's about a girl called Mara who is in an accident and she can't remember anything about it. Her best friend, her boyfriend and her best friends friend (who she doesn't like much) die because an old building collapsed around them and Mara was the only one who was alive afterwards. She then moves school because she needs to start a fresh away from where she used to live.  She befriends a boy called Jamie who tells her about the mysterious Noah Shaw.  She then typically falls in love with him and it goes on from there! It turns out that there is a series and the third book comes out in November (your kidding me!!!) but that's ok. I would give this book a 8/10 because it really is just amazing. It has the power to make you go upstairs and wonder what you'll see in the mirror, it's a phsycological fear


2) Noughts and crosses by Malorie Blackman 
It is very likely that you have read this or heard of it because last year it was massive! I tried it last year, but couldn't get into it do this year I was like "yeh, I'll read it!" I have to admit, it made me cry - I won't tell you the ending because that is horrid.  It's set in a different universe/time/world where crosses are "better" than noughts, like in this world/universe/time white people used to rule over black people and in this book it swaps it round.  It's a typical love story - sort of like Romeo and juliett - they want to be together but they can't because sephy is a cross and Callum is a nought. They have known each other all their lives and the grow to fall in love.  It tells you about their relationship through the book and the war against noughts and crosses.  It's a great book but I personally can't latch onto it that well so I'm going to give it a 7/10



3) Abandon Meg Cabott
This book is the last in the Abandon series by Meg Cabot. I ADORE this series and I saw this in the library so I was like "the last one! I have to read the last one because it really is such a haunting, beautiful series that has gripped my heart.  It's about a girl called pierce who dies and goes to the underworld.  She falls in love with the keeper of the underworld (John) and then she comes back to life.   In this book, she's already with john and this is where they try to defeat the 'furies' and how work out a way to be together.  I would tell you more but because it's the last book, it's like telling you the ending and I don't want to do that, so the only thing I can reccomend is read the books! I would give this series a 9/10 because I have loved them that much!



4) Watership Down 
We have something called a reading list at school, there is one for every year, and we have to read ten of these and 20 books of our choice (in year 8) to get a reading star award badge (I lost mine for last year! Oops!) and this book was on the reading list.  I saw the film a few years ago and a adored it so when I saw that this book was on the list I was very excited.  It's a very thick book and has very small writing so it's quite a hard read but I thoroughly enjoyed it!  It is quite hard to get your head round because you would think that a book about rabbits would be more of a child's read and the length would be more of an adults read and I think it suits everyone! Young children wouldn't be able to read it themselves as there is some difficult words and things that they may not be able to read and understand.  It's about a group of rabbits who run away from their warren because fiver, who has a sixth sense as such, says that something terrible is going to happen to their warren and that they have to run away.  The book is about the rabbits journey to get to the hills (Watership down) and what happens when they get there. I would rate this book 8/10 because it is unique, individual and I've never read anything like it. 

5) Inifinate sky
This book was also on our school book list and I was drawn in instantly by the blurb. It's about a girl who has travellers parked on her front lawn and she falls in love with the traveller boy (noticed a them with me and love?) and she can't be with him because her dad hates the travellers and wants them gone.  It's a typical love story and I adore it. Trick (the traveller boy) is really sweet and I just fell on love with him (please say I'm not the only one who does this?!?!) like I did the book. I would give it an 8/19 because it's enchanting and wonderful and any girl will love it!


What do you think? What are your favoutite books at the moment?

Please take a moment or so to look at the rest of my blog and follow because that would mean so much! If you comment and leave your blog I WILL take a look and if I like it I will follow!


No comments :

Post a Comment